Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Meet Lucy


Nicknames: Duece, Duecer, Goose, Gooser, Goosey, Sweet Pea, Lucifer.

Anniversary: July 28, 2005.

Best Feature: Elvis lip.

Favorite Foods: Broccoli, nutritional yeast, pasta.

Favorite Toy: String.

Talents: Balancing on narrow banisters, fitting into small spaces.

Favorite Spot: Sitting on top of the counter, where she’s not supposed to be with her dirty litter paws!

Best Known For: Adventurousness. Lucy will crawl in any box, drawer, or crevice she can fit into, including the small space between the cabinets and the stove that is a 3x3 inch tunnel. She tests her limits daily by seeing how high and far she can jump, even getting up to try again after falling off the banister in the stairway.

How She Says “Hello”: “Meep!”

How She Gets What She Wants: Cuteness.

Where to Find Her at Night: On my pillow.

Lucy’s Story: I found Lucy outside of the 46th Street El station in Philadelphia. She was a friendly, little runt and I stopped to pat her every day on my way home from work. Finally, a local guy near the station told me she didn’t belong to anyone and I should take her home, so I did. I scooped her up and carried her for five blocks in my arms. She didn’t squirm or try to run away, but just looked into my eyes lovingly, and has been by my side ever since. Nowadays, Lucy is always waiting for me to sit down so she can crawl into my lap, and she perks up whenever I say her name.

Go here to meet Zack.

5 comments:

  1. How cute! My sister rescued a kitten last year, but now regets it. Her fiend/neighbor was feeding it, and didn't want to leave it outside for the winter, but, wouldn't take it in herself b/c she already had two dogs and a few cats. So she guilted my sister into taking the cat. "Bow" won't let my sister pet her, and she fights with the dog. (The dog is scared of her.) Plus, the SPCA said the cat was fine, but she ended up having worms. So think twice before getting a cat off the streets! Maybe check a shelter first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy Lou - you didn't mention Lucy Lou! Or, am I the only one who calls her that? You didn't mention that she's treated like the little princess that she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had equally good luck with our rescues. Although Bandit is into love bites and is not a lap cap, in his old age, about 15, we reckon, he's become more affectionate. But no way would he stand to be held for 5 blocks, gazing into my eyes. Nice portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot Peanut Butter. Maybe Krista and I are in the same boat and call Lucy names that no one else does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proofreader, so sorry to hear your sister had a bad experience with the SPCA. Lucy actually had worms when I found her, too, but the vet noticed it immediately and put her on medication. Bow sounds like she may have been feral instead of a stray (since she doesn't like human contact and fights with the dog). Your sister has a very kind heart for taking her in, but feral cats are definitely a mixed bag and need a lot of time and space before they are comfortable with humans (some never are). There is a great group called Alley Cat Allies, which normally advocates for TNR (trap, neuter, return) for feral cats, but they might be a good resource for your sister about what she can do to make Bow more comfortable.

    Mom, and Jen, you're right, I totally forgot those nicknames because I never call her them myself! But you're right, she is quite the little princess.

    Trina, both my cats give love bites, too. If I put my face right up to Lucy, sometimes she'll nip my nose-- actually it kind of hurts! :) Bandit is a cute name, especially for a rescue cat.

    ReplyDelete