Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Look for the Leaping Bunny!


As a vegan, I try to live my life in such a way that does not harm animals, or any living beings for that matter. So, not only do I refrain from eating them, I also refrain from buying products that contain animal bits and pieces, or which were tested on animals themselves.

Every year, millions of animals are used to assess the safety of everyday products like lipstick, shampoo, laundry detergent, and household cleaners. The actual number of animals is unknown because U.S. research facilities don’t have to report their use of birds, rats, mice, fish, and other cold blooded animals. Interestingly, these are the most frequently used animals because they are small, cheap, and considered ‘lower on the totem pole’ than dogs, cats, and non-human primates. Compiling data from other countries that report ALL species used, and calculations from insiders who work in laboratory facilities, it is estimated that birds, rats, mice, and fish represent roughly 95 percent of the animals used in research. And they are not afforded even the minimum care as required by the Animal Welfare Act.

Animal studies are rooted in the ancient contradiction that because animals are like humans, they make biologically sound research subjects; but because animals are not like humans, they make ethically just research subjects. This just doesn’t make sense, and even if you think it does, the number of viable alternatives available today make it a moot point. We don’t need to test on animals. Why?

  1. We are not small and furry, nor do we have fins or tails.
  2. We will probably never be stuck inside a sealed container and forced to breathe chemicals for 28 days straight, or have our eyelids held open for 14 days while corrosive material is dropped into our eyes, or any of the other ridiculous tests that are preformed on animals. I hope someone would take us to the doctor instead of just letting us linger in pain.
  3. Alternative testing methods are available that use computer databases, human cadavers, or real human skin cells, which are much more relevant to humans than data gleaned from guinea pigs.

The European Union recently banned animal testing for cosmetics and cosmetic ingredients, and a similar ban for household products is in the works. While we don’t have that going for us in the U.S., we do have a snazzy program called Leaping Bunny, which certifies cosmetic, personal care, and household product companies as “cruelty-free” if they don’t test their products or ingredients on animals. Companies that meet these requirements can put the Leaping Bunny Logo on their packages.

Although there are other cruelty-free shopping lists out there, this is the one that I truly trust, because companies are required to collect forms from their ingredient suppliers and contract manufacturers that no animal testing is occurring on their behalf; they also have to recommit annually to the program and open themselves up to independent audits to assure their compliance.

Unfortunately not all of the companies listed are vegan (i.e., some use animal derived ingredients in their products) but this information can be figured out easily enough by looking at ingredient lists and seeing if there’s anything fishy (or cow-y, bumble bee-y, goat-y, etc.).

One of my favorite cheap companies on the list is Nature's Gate. But there are over 250 others, so take a look and see for yourself! Or learn how to make your own household cleaners here.


9 comments:

  1. "bumble bee-y" This one hadn't occurred to me. It's like Bee Movie! Does that mean you don't eat honey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, although i disagree with #2-
    "We will probably never be stuck inside a sealed container and forced to breathe chemicals for 28 days straight..." I recall my freshman year in a 6 by 6 foot dorm room and something about a Bong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proofreader, you're right, I don't eat honey. I have to watch that Bee Movie, though. I love Jerry Seinfeld!

    Kemuel, you proved me wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, thank you for this information, it has raised my awareness. Poor little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living as a vegan certainly is complicated and requires a huge commitment. Hats off! I love the Leaping Bunny graphic and the video is very clever. I've had my own experiences in the last 24 hours with leaping bunnies. Without going into detail, suffice it to say, we have a cat. Never fear,though, the bunnies are fine and still leaping. The cat is very angry at me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I look at my dog-- with his near-human range of emotions (I think the only emotion I have that my dog lacks is "existential dread") it's clear to me that humans are simply verbal animals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, thank you for having an open mind! I am glad to hear my post raised your awareness.

    Trina, a vegan lifestyle may seem complicated at first, but after a while, it becomes old hat (to continue the "hat" theme :)). I have been vegan for so long that I hardly have to look at ingredient labels anymore. I usually know what contains animal products and what doesn't (either because I've looked before, or I just have an innate sense of, "That can't possible be vegan...")

    Rob, very well put. As Wilbur from Charlotte's Web said, "We've got lots in common where it really counts!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well put! Zack and Lucy are proud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Rob D. (and Zack and Lucy!)

    ReplyDelete