Thursday, July 9, 2009

$1.39 Dinner

My boss's husband is a plant photographer. He takes professional pictures of flowers, trees, fruits, and vegetables. So today, I came into the office kitchen to find a basket full of fresh cucumbers and squash left over from a Burpee photo-shoot, with a note that said, "Help yourself." Of course, I stashed away my choices a.s.a.p. and went back to my desk to plan dinner. This is what happened: a totally random, spur-of-the-moment meal based around free squash. Thanks Burpee!

cheap vegan dinner
Ingredients:

1 yellow squash (free, from my boss)
1 green zucchini (free, from my boss)
1 can chickpeas (89-cents, from Trader Joe's)
fresh basil, chopped (free, from my roommate's plant)
dried rosemary (free, from my boyfriend's neighbor)
3 cloves garlic
olive oil
salt

cous cous (pennies, bought bulk at Whole Foods)
water

1/2 pound green beans (50-cents from produce truck on 44th and Sansom Streets)
slivered almonds (stolen from my roommate to make the picture pretty!)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole:

    I hadn't prepared couscous in a long time. Your post reminded me how good, inexpensive and easy couscous is to prepare. It's especially great in the hot weather when we don't want to have the stove on too long!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you grill the veggies? I'd guess grilling would be a great way to spice up vegan food, and as far as I know it's considered environmentally friendly, right?
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. $1.39, that's cheaper than an Odwalla bar at Wawa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, I stir fried the veggies on the stove. But grilling is a great way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete