Tuesday, August 4, 2009

How Would You Save Luna?

Last weekend, I watched a compelling documentary that I haven't been able to get off my mind. It brought up a lot of questions for me about humans relationship with wild animals, and where/if we should draw the line.

Saving Luna follows the story of a lonely orca whale who was either lost or abandoned by his pod in a logging bay off the coast of Nova Scotia. Clearly yearning for social contact, Luna approached the boats, impressing everyone with his chutzpah. He would nose right up to them and nod his head encouragingly for pats, and even play tug of war or fetch with cedar sticks he found floating in the water. He also enjoyed being sprayed with water or getting his tongue rubbed. When the summer visitors came to the bay, Luna became the center of attention and seemed to revel in his popularity.

Soon, people became worried about Luna—for his own safety and the safety of others. Because he swam so close to the boats, what if he unintentionally knocked over a kayak or got too close to a boat's propeller? The question of what to do about Luna became one that divided the Department of Fisheries, First Nation leaders, marine biologists, tourists, politicians, and anyone else who had met the baby whale.

The Canadian Department of Fisheries thought that human contact would just encourage Luna to stay in the bay and pose a risk to himself and the summer tourists. However, when one group wanted to relocate Luna to the area where his pod might be, officials were skeptical that this would even work and denied permission. Instead, they told people to ignore Luna for his own good or recieve a hefty fine. This policy was impossible to enforce, as many saw how much Luna craved interaction and thought it cruel to deprive him of it. Officials dismissed this as anthropomorphizing. For years, no one could agree and Luna remained in the waters of Nova Scotia seeking social contact, but sometimes meeting up with the wrong people. One man threatened to shoot him when he discovered his fishing boat was damaged.

Interestingly, Saving Luna does not take sides. When asked what the message of his documentary is, filmmaker Michael Parfit said:
"A lot of people ask Suzanne and me that. But we don’t think of SAVING LUNA as a message film. It’s a story film. It isn’t trying to tell people what to think. We made it because we went through an amazing story with a wonderful character, and we want everybody to experience the story and get to know the character."
What do you think about the barrier between humans and wild animals? Is it ever ok to cross the line? How would you have saved Luna?

13 comments:

  1. This is a tough question- Whenever I watch nature documentaries that show an animal starving or lost, I get upset that the filming crew does not help the animal. I have to remind myself that unless one is willing to give long term help, it probably does not make a difference in the short run. Also there are a lot of checks and balances in nature that have to be considered.

    In the Luna situation I think they should have tried to relocate her with a pod-

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sad! I can't watch things like that; I just find it hearbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kemuel, I have actually never thought of it that way, but now I'm going to watch nature shows with a different perspective. As for this one in particular, there were plenty of people trying to "help," only no one could agree on how best to save Luna. At the end of the movie, the filmmakers confessed that they couldn't be impartial anymore and they did what the Department of Fisheries forbade everyone to do: they gave Luna their attention, and interacted with him socially.

    Jenn, although the movie was heartbreaking, it was not graphic or morose, so I would still recommend it to you. Luna is such an interesting whale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a great, thought provoking film. I can't wait to see the whole thing. Thanks so much for making me aware of it. Based on what I know at moment, my heart and my gut say interact and socialize with the whale while she is there but do whatever is possible to relocate her with her pod.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it is a great documentary! I would still see it; it just upsets me to see sad animals, to put in lightly. Anyhoo, I would argue for pod reunion as well. But then again, that's meddling as well. Maybe there's some reason we wouldn't know that the pod has rejected this whale. Maybe it's the mere fact that it's so attracted to the humans, which can invite danger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole,

    This sounds like a terrific and thought provoking film. My thoughts: interact with Luna but try to take him back to his pod. If he tries to socialize and interact with them and is rejected, welcome him back with open arms! The poor little guy is lost and just trying to make friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In sort of related news, I heard this story on NPR today: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111377218

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a tough one. I guess for both Luna and everyone's safety, an attempt at relocation might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure what I would do to save Luna, but he definitely needs some friends. I haven't seen the entire documentary, but I think that Michael Parfit has probably achieved his goal. Even the trailer provokes such emotion for the little whale. And so did this post, it brought tears to my eyes before I even saw the included video.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, very tough. The Japanese story that Rob references is truly horrifying, but the issue is rather different: dolphins vs. the livelihood of a town. I think I would try to connect Luna with a pod but watch carefully to make sure he was accepted. If he wasn't, bring him back among the humans and give him the attention he's looking for. There are plenty of animals in zoos and aquariums that are trained to interact with people. Some people think that's cruel and wrong, unnatural. Perhaps Luna is trying to train us to interact with him. Is that cruel, wrong, and unnatural? What's natural?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's too bad you all didn't live in Nova Scotia at the time this movie was filmed. I agree that they should have at least tried to reunite Luna with his pod. What's the harm in trying?

    Thanks for the NPR story, Rob. It made me go back to Kemuel's issue with documentarians not stepping in to help animals in distress. I guess, in some cases like this one that was under cover, they are hoping to help more animals in the long run by documenting their plight.

    Trina brings up a good question of "what is natural?" when it comes to our relationship with animals. This is a hard one to answer, a quandry which people have been trying to solve for a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did you get the chance to see this? Amazing trailer. I MUST see it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amber, my boss got a free copy when she went to HSUS's Genesis Awards this year. If you still lived nearby, I'd lend it to you, but maybe you can get it from Netflix? It's a really great story!

    ReplyDelete