Sunday, August 9, 2009

Breakfast of Cheap Vegan Champions

Ever since my friend Nicki told me she doesn't like regular oatmeal because it's too mushy, I've been using her quick and easy recipe for breakfast oats. Without a doubt, I've eaten this nearly every day for the past four years. Oats are cheap and nutritious, and this recipe only leaves one bowl and spoon to wash. Best of all, you can make it in under five minutes!

Start by boiling about 1/2 cup of water.


Next, get out the bowl you're going to eat from and add 1 cup regular rolled oats.


Use the spoon you're going to eat with and add 3-4 spoonfuls of cinnamon apple sauce.


Dig your hands into a bag of raisins and add a handful to your bowl.


Stir everything up.


At this point, the water should be at a rolling boil. Carefully pour it in your bowl, just enough so that the oats are covered but not floating.


Stir everything up again.


Cover your bowl with a plate to trap the steam. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes while the oats soften.


Uncover and voila! You're done.


Optional: For added nutrition (fiber and omega 3's), sprinkle crushed flaxseed on top. You can also try adding different toppings (banana, blueberries, peanut butter, walnuts, other flavors of apple sauce, etc.), but the original is the one I like best.


My mother always said, "Oats stick to your ribs," and boy is she right. This is a very filling breakfast... or lunch, or dinner!

9 comments:

  1. I will have to show this recipe to my dad, he will absolutely love it!! His steel-cut oats take forever. It is great how you included a photo with each step. It looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I liked oatmeal. It LOOKS so good, but the taste doesn't do it for me. Still, this was a great post, with all the directions and photos. Do you ever make smoothies? That's my jam right now. Berries, yogurt (not too vegan, I guess), flaxseed oil, ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious. I'm not a big fan of raisins, but I'd love it with fresh fruit. I'd also definitely add the flax seeds. They're so tiny and tasteless, you don't even know they're there, but they're so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I make steel cut oats on the weekends when I have more time, which goes to show how long they take to cook... I hope your dad likes the recipe!

    Jenn, so sorry to hear you haven't discovered the beauty of oats yet. But smoothies are wonderful as well (in fact, I've been known to put oats IN my smoothies). I usually use soymilk, but soy yogurt could be used as well!

    Proofreader, I put flaxseeds in/on just about anything. Cookies, muffins, salads, PB&J, and oats obviously. Flaxmeal (i.e., ground up flaxseeds) makes a good egg replacer when mixed with water. It has a gooey consistency like egg whites that holds baked goods together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge oatmeal fan-thanks for the recipe. It's always nice to have a hot breakfast that you don't have to actively watch and cook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can also make this sans water the night before, and leave it in the refrigerator over night. Warm it up in the microwave the next morning = deliciousness. I like the texture better of the overnight method, the only difference being, more applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I'm feeling ambitious, I like to make baked oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A trick that we use is to soak the oats overnight. Then just throw in the raisins, cinnamon, and whatever else, and cook it to the consistency you like. By the time the cat is fed and the coffee has filtered, the oatmeal is done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can personally attest the the fact that this is delicious!

    ReplyDelete